I need more advice

7:54 PM Edit This 5 Comments »
Since finding out I was pregnant I haven't weighed myself at all. Not once! Unless you count my first dr. appointment. At that time I weighed 234. It was at about 5p.m. which is not when I would normally weigh myself and I had all my clothes on including my heavy 'ol sketcher shoes. After reading On my way... have the urge to go weigh myself. Is this something I should be doing? Should I be weighing myself? I'm afraid if I do I'm gonna scare myself and start trying to diet. I know that's not good for the baby, but I'm pretty sure I should be packing on the pounds just yet. What to do?

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I don't think you should weigh yourself at all. Just let your doctor weigh you when you go and if you are gaining too quickly or too slowly he or she will let you know. Just try to eat fairly normally and don't worry about the weight. Eat as nutritiously as you can and you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Amanda said...

When I first found out I was pg, I weighed myself that day. Then I would get on the scale about every week or so. Then the day I delivered I got on the scale to see how much I had gained--according to MY scale--so I would know. There are many different books about pregnancy that say the different things. I would use the doctor's scale and heed his/her advice regarding your weight. He/she will tell you if you are gaining too much too fast.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend the book Your Pregnancy Week by Week. The What to Expect when You're expecting book is good, but for me, it scared me more than helped me! now for #2, it answered a lot of questions, but for #1, it had me down right terrified! :)

Shannon said...

Hey, I just happened upon your blog... I have a 17 month daughter. When I was pregnant with her, I gained 50 pounds. As soon as I got the go ahead from my doctor after I had her (6-8 weeks), I joined a gym and worked out at least 3 times a week. The weight practically melted off. I think you should just eat healthy (a few trips to Coney Island won't hurt... that's what I craved) and keep walking. I think you will be surprised how easy it is to take the weight off afterwards if you try. Good luck with your pregnancy! I hope you don't mind if I follow it through your blog.

Dawn and Jai (DH) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn and Jai (DH) said...

Do not use me as an excuse!

During the 13 weeks of my short pregnancy, I too had the urge to weigh myself. However at the time I was 290 pounds and the thought of getting into the 300 was scaring me. I didn't want the overly fat pregnant lady that waddles.

Anyways, you need to totally switch your thinking from Diet mode...to "Healthy Mom-to-Be" Mode.

For the first 3 months of your pregnancy, you really don't need or will gain that much weight. The growing bean already has all the nutrients that you will need for this period, minus you taking a prenatal vitamin and anything else that the doctor prescribes for you.

Keep up the exercise and think about a Yoga class. It is great for pregnant bodies and it generally helps you to stay calm.

It is about your 12-16 week that the doctor will advise you to eat a few more calories. This is when you can focus on weighing yourself...if the doctor says it is okay.

BUT NO USING ME AS AN EXCUSE!!!

Hugs girl and good luck with meeting your walking quota.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones