Cereal in the bottle?
6:08 AM Edit This 4 Comments »
Is this normal? Are we supposed to be putting cereal in her bottle? We both swear that's what the doctor told us to do, but maybe we are wrong. Last night we went to see my counselor and she was kind of appauled at the fact that we put cereal in her bottle. Are we doing it wrong?





4 comments:
NO! I can't believe some doctors actually still say that. Mine always told us--cereal is to eat off a spoon--she needs to learn to eat off a spoon, not out of a bottle. Personally, I think she's too old to feed cereal in a bottle. She can eat if off a spoon, why would you put it in her bottle?? Just my .02.
I know several people who put cereal in a bottle and others who don't at all and others who do only cereal bottle at night. What's normal anyways? Don't worry, do whatever works for the three of you and what your doctor said to do!
LH
There has been a lot of research that has shown that cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard and there are other studies linking it to obesity. I admit I tried it for a short time because I heard it would fill up the baby's tummy so they would sleep longer and I was desperate after 5, 6, 7 months of sleeping 2 hours a night (in 1/2 hour increments) and it didn't make a darn difference. I stopped, figuring it wasn't worth the possible risks.
I had heard this was a choking hazard too. We never did this with our son. Truly, a baby does not NEED to start solid foods until they are 6 months old. If your doctor was concerned about her being so big for her age already, why would he recommend cereal this soon? That seems odd to me.
But...in the end, do what works best for you. Do some research and make your own decision based on what you learn, that's what I did.
Guess that's why people still look at me funny for keeping my son rear facing still! He's happy, healthy and safer, so as long as he stays within the weight limits, I'm keeping him rear facing!
Jenna
Post a Comment