Genesis 1:26 & Genesis 1:31

2:58 PM Edit This 4 Comments »
Genesis 1:26:

"Then God said, "Let us make people in our image, to be like ourselves. They will be masters over all life-the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the livestock, wild animals, and small animals."



When I read this verse in my Bible I didn't think any thing of it, but then I read what additional information my Bible had to say about this verse.



"Knowing that we are made in God's image and thus share many of his characteristics provides a solid basis for self-worth. Human worth is not based on possessions, achievements, physical attractiveness, or public acclaim. Instead, it is based on being made in God's image. Because we bear God's image, we can feel positive about ourselves. Criticizing or downgrading ourselves is criticizing what God has made and the abilities he has given us. Knowing that you are a person of worth helps you love God, know him personally, and make a valuable contribution to those around you."



Genesis 1:31:

"Then God looked over all he had made, and he saw that it was excellent in every way. This all happened on the sixth day."



Again, when I ready this verse I didn't think anything of it, but then I read the additional information my Bible had



"God saw that all he had created was excellent in every way. You are part of God's creation, and he is pleased with how he made you. If at times you feel worthless or of little value, remember that God made you for a good reason. You are valuable to him."



The explanations of these two verses really speak to me and my weight loss journey. I know God loves me the way I am and made me the way I am for a reason. However, I think God wouldn't mind if I attempted to make myself more healthy. The two verses really strike me when I think about my self-esteem and how I criticize myself and think about myself. I shouldn't be so hard on myself because God doesn't think low of me or criticize me so why should I?



These verses have inspired me to work on how I think about myself. Under the title of my blog I write that I am working to become a more positive and healthier Me! By reading the Bible I am starting to become both of these things!

Just thought I'd share. I don't plan on always quoting the Bible, but it really struck me and I wanted to share. Maybe someone else can get some guidance out of it too.

4 comments:

Colette said...

Wow that was awesome. I have read that verse in the past and like you it was just words, but now after you explained it...it MAKES SENSE!
Your right God is pleased with us no matter how we look, so why are we so darn hard on ourselves?
Thanks for the FOOD FOR THOUGHT..I NEEDED to hear that!

Candace MacPherson said...

Laura, I think you are a very amazing lady. The past 2 entries reflect the pull we ALL feel through this journey. It's tough to love ourselves NOW and yet still strive for improvement. I believe that content is a dirty word. Life moves on and we have to move to. To be content makes me think of stagnant and lazy (I have fully experiences both). By moving and improving I find I am a happier me overall. I also fully believe that God wants us to constantly challenge ourselves, grow, and learn in this life. You aren't going to be in this same head space a year from now - and the direction you head is directed mostly your choices. That can be scary, but it's also empowering and invigorating. I look forward to continue reading your journey.

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts, Laura. Also, if we are made in God's image, does it not make sense to take good care of ourselves? We belong to God, so should take care of His posession.

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura.

Good reflective posts that last couple of days -- I'm just catching up.

Mike also got a Bible that helps with the interpretation that I will attempt to start reading...but no lofty goals of a year for me -- how about in my lifetime! I like to know the "real world" break it down for me nuts and bolts behind the words -- so helpful.

Everyday it a new committment to the weight loss and HEALTHY LIFE journey. One that we have to make each day over and over again. Me too -- trust me. Know that you are not alone and that people love you for YOU. :)

Happy 2008! Sara


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones